Author Topic: Open puzzle packs dialog is slow  (Read 7961 times)

Offline Darken

• View Profile
Open puzzle packs dialog is slow
« on: June 18, 2006, 08:35:05 AM »
I vote for some optimization, because Sudoku is getting slower and slower on my device (MPx200 with Windows Mobile 2003)

EDIT:
For example, if I want to open a sudoku Pack, it last about one minute to show the selection screen (I've five packs installed)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 12:40:25 PM by Darken »
MPx200 (WM 2003)
DarkenCZ

Offline Neverwish

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 11:00:47 PM »
Yes but I arrived too late to help for the French translation. However, there is only one thing to say: good job and nice translation.
Anyway, it takes between 5 and 10 seconds to show the selection screen with 5 or 6 packs installed (with my SPV C600), which is not disturbing.

Offline David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smoresoft.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 11:43:52 PM »
The problem with opening puzzle packs being slow is that I enumerate every file on your device and on your storage card(s), looking for *.spp files.  The more files you have, the longer it will take.  If you have a lot of music files on a storage card, for example, this can take a long time.

The number of puzzle packs shouldn't matter that much--the biggest factor is the number of files on your device.

I have a few options for speeding it up, including:

1. I can limit the search, for example, by requiring puzzle packs to be placed in a certain folder, and only searching that folder.  This is the quickest solution to code.  However, after upgrading, some people will find that their puzzle packs don't show up anymore.

2.  Search for puzzle packs on a background thread, so the dialog opens immediately and then puzzle packs show up in the list as they are discovered.  Also, cache puzzle packs once they're found, so they show up quickly the next time.  This will take longer to code, and I'm not sure that the experience of getting an empty list that slowly fills up is great.

3. Some combination, like looking in a certain folder by default, and having the option to scan the entire device if you wish.  Also, maintain a cached list of puzzle packs found during a scan.

I'll think about this some more, but right now I'm leaning toward #3.  If you've got a preference, let me know.

Offline Neverwish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 09:32:58 AM »
#3 would be the best solution, but anyway, it is not difficult to put spp files into the Smoresoft Sudoku folder, so I think that, first, #1 would not disturb anyone.

Offline Rheuh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 10:37:42 AM »
I agree with Neverwish for #1 or #3.

Here on my C600 with a 1Gb MiniSD, the list takes up to 10-15 seconds to fill up. And it's very disturbing while I'm listening music in the background ;)

Offline David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 07:56:54 AM »
For 1.1.0.2, I search only the installation folder and "My Puzzles" under the "My Documents" folder in local storage and on each installed storage card.  Unfortunately, "My Puzzles" is not localized, but I need to use that name for compatibility with the puzzle pack cab files I've already published.  I'll address this in the future when I work on the puzzle pack manager feature.

Let me know how this works for you.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 08:11:26 AM by David »

Offline Neverwish

• View Profile
Re: Open puzzle packs dialog is slow
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 10:58:04 AM »
As soon as I choose Open, an error message appears and points that Smoresoft Sudoku will close (my puzzles files where in the Storage Card/Program Files/Smoresoft Sudoku folder). Then I created a folder My Puzzles, where I put all puzzles, in the Storage Card/My Documents folder, but the same error occures.
Do you know why?

Offline David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Open puzzle packs dialog is slow
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 06:12:11 PM »
Thanks for alerting me to this problem.  The crash happens on Windows Mobile 5 devices.  It's fixed in 1.1.0.3 now, and I've removed 1.1.0.2 from the downloads directory.