Author Topic: Unable to Uninstall  (Read 3721 times)

Offline larrykeith

• View Profile
Unable to Uninstall
« on: May 04, 2006, 02:05:01 PM »
I have an imate SP5 with WindowsMobile 5 and I am unable to uninstall 1.0.6 to upgrade to 1.0.6.  It is not listed in the installed programs, so I cannot remove it there.  When I try to install 1.0.7 it says that it will remove the previous version, but it then says that it can't.  I select to install anyways, and it fails.  Not anytime I try to install it, it fails immediately.  I have even deleted the folder and start menu shortcut.  

Any ideas how I can completely remove 1.0.6?  Thanks.

Neverwish

Unable to Uninstall
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 04:57:44 PM »
Maybe with a registry editor (Regedit for instance). Try to find the key "HKLM>Security>AppInstall>Smoresoft.com Smoresoft Sudoku", and then the key "Role". Modify it by entering the value "16". Finally you can exit the registry editor, and return in the list of installed programmes. Smoresoft sudoku should be there.

Offline David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smoresoft.com/
Unable to Uninstall
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 05:26:24 PM »
larrykeith, I'm sorry to hear you're having this problem.  Normally, you should be able to simply install the latest version and the previous version is automatically upgraded.  However, if something goes wrong, for example, Smoresoft Sudoku is running in the background while you are trying to install the new version, you may get this error.

It sounds like you have already tried most of the things I would recommend.  Just to reiterate them here:

1. Make sure Smoresoft Sudoku is not running.  The easiest thing to do is to choose "Exit" from the game menu.

2. Attempt the uninstall or upgrade again.  If this does not work, continue to Step 3.

3. Turn your device off and back on.

4. Use "Start, Settings, Remove Programs" to remove "Smoresoft.com Smoresoft Sudoku".  Again, if this does not work, continue to Step 5.

5. Use File Manager to delete "\Storage\Program Files\Smoresoft Sudoku".  Or, if you installed the program on a storage card, it should be under "\Storage Card\Program Files\Smoresoft Sudoku".

Note that you will lose your game progress if you do this.  You can save the "owner.config" file somewhere else and put it back later to keep your game progress if you wish.

6. Use File Manager to delete "\Storage\Windows\Start Menu\Games\Smoresoft Sudoku.lnk".

7. Turn your device off and back on.

8. Use "Start, Settings, Remove Programs" to remove "Smoresoft.com Smoresoft Sudoku".

Let me know if these steps work for you.  After following these steps, all of the files that Smoresoft Sudoku installs on your device will be removed and all that is left is the registry key noted by Neverwish below. (Thanks, Neverwish!)  Removing this registry key manually should be a last resort, and hopefully you will not need to do this after following the above steps.